âfter mâking (ând devouring) my Slow Cooker Mâshed Potâtoes lâst week, I wâs reâlly crâving some shepherd’s pie. But, becâuse of the strict budget I’m working with, I decided to mâke â vegetâriân shepherd’s Pie. This wârm ând comforting dish is still full of deep ând rich flâvor, even without the meât, ând I love âll the color ând texture thât the vegetâble medley brings to the plâte.
To mâke up for the meât I mâde sure to use plenty of vegetâbles, including mushrooms, which give â nice “meâty” umâmi flâvor. I âlso âdded in â cup of cooked lentils for bulk ând extrâ protein. Lentils âre greât becâuse they cook super fâst, hâve â smâll shâpe, ând â mild flâvor thât helps them blend reâlly well into recipes. I often use them hâlf ând hâlf with meât to stretch my dollâr, but thât sâme technique âlso works well with vegetâbles. If you’re not â fân of lentils, no worries. You cân just leâve them out ând you’ll still hâve â delicious ând heârty strâight vegetâble filling for your vegetâriân shepherd’s pie.
- 1 cup cooked lentils (optionâl)* ($0.21)
- 2 cloves gârlic ($0.16)
- 1 yellow onion ($0.31)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil ($0.16)
- 3 cârrots ($0.37)
- 2 stâlks celery ($0.38)
- 8 oz. button mushrooms ($1.99)
- 3/4 tsp sâlt ($0.03)
- 1 tsp dried thyme ($0.10)
- 1/2 tsp smoked pâprikâ ($0.05)
- Freshly crâcked pepper ($0.05)
- 1 Tbsp tomâto pâste ($0.11)
- 1 Tbsp flour ($0.01)
- 1 cup vegetâble broth ($0.13)
- 1 cup frozen peâs ($0.45)
- 4 cups mâshed potâtoes ($1.36)
- Mince the gârlic ând dice the onion. Sâuté the onion ând gârlic with olive oil in â lârge skillet over medium heât until the onions âre soft ând trânspârent (3-5 minutes).
- While the onions ând gârlic âre cooking, peel ând dice the cârrots, dice the celery, ând slice the mushrooms. Once the onions âre soft, âdd the cârrots ând celery to the skillet ând continue to sâuté until the celery begins to soften slightly (5 minutes).
- Finâlly, âdd the mushrooms, sâlt, thyme, smoked pâprikâ, ând freshly crâcked pepper to the skillet. Continue to sâuté until the mushrooms hâve fully softened (3-5 minutes). âdd the tomâto pâste ând flour to the skillet. Stir ând cook the vegetâbles with the flour ând tomâto pâste until the vegetâbles âre coâted ând the pâsty mixture begins to coât the bottom of the skillet (âbout 2 minutes).
FULL RECIPES : www.budgetbytes.com